Thursday, January 27, 2011

1-27-11 6:00 pm Honor

We all need it: recognition. Honoring someone validates them, and gives the honorer an opportunity for feeling privileged to share recognition. OK, in English: Today my sweet, loving, very-wonderful-husband brought me another perfect cup of coffee, to my happy surprise.

He has to have the forethought to make it at the right time, transport it to school with our daughter, actually park and come into school, then make his delivery. The other day, you may remember, he did this in my absence. Today, however I was there, along with two of my co-workers to witness the act.

I pounced! Arm stretched around all the shoulders it could fit, smiling at him, giving him a peck on the cheek, I proudly recognized his generosity in their presence. "And this is the best spouse I could ask for!" Boy, did he smile. It felt the least I could do, give him the recognition he clearly deserved. My two co-workers cooed with admiration, right on cue. Thanks guys, awesome timing!

So, four people had a happy moment today. For some the moment might have been shorter than for, say me, who got to enjoy my entire cup of coffee with those warm memories stirring around in my mind. Hopefully Harold got a boost that will last him a while. How did all this "goodness" occur?

I think it's the positivity. A while back I thanked Harold for a random first cup of coffee he'd brought me. Then the dry spell. And I could have said: "You know, you hardly ever bring me coffee, and yet I....(fill in the blank) all the time for you." Actually, we run a remarkably equitable household. And yet, we can all complain from time time to time. Instead, I focused on the positive: "You know, you made my day that one time when you brought me coffee. What a treat!" And now look. We're living a win-win. I'm very happy to receive random, tasty, hot cups of coffee from my loving husband. And so far, he seems delighted with the results.

2 comments:

  1. That was a special moment, witnessing that love and appreciation. Too cute, both of you.

    ReplyDelete