Thursday, March 3, 2011

3-3-11 6:00 pm Have You Noticed?

Maybe I'm stubborn, after all, the Northeastern Cougar is extinct. Perhaps it's plain pig-headedness, after all, our state budget constraints for next year just might asphyxiate our childrens' education. It could be flagrant disregard for reality, after all, I did receive a complaint call today. Whatever it you label it, I just feel unequivocally, the only and best option is to celebrate.

In spite of the Earth's magnetic polarity changing by 40 degrees to the ... east?..., regardless of our economic woes, and aside from crashing housing and job markets, what about the rest of life? What about balance? What happens without it?

So: the sunrise these last few mornings has been very colorful. Have you noticed? The weather's been fair this week. How does it feel to finally thaw out? Have you seen the larger numbers of people getting around on foot or by bicycle? It makes me think hopeful thoughts about the longevity of our eco-systems.

Whatever good I can find, it feels like a compelling entity. Its very existence must be savored, examined, and remembered. Since any of it exists at all in these seemingly desperate times, every joy deserves attention.

It's also the little things: Anne, hormonal, emotional, and perpetually hungry, has been unusually cuddly this week. Harold's been making the bed. I'm getting more organized about my time lately. Work seems to be going well.

Hard times come with life. These times are tough, and yet, we've had tougher, colder, and more hateful events in history: the Holocaust, the Great Depression, the Civil War, plagues, the Ice Age, etc.

"This too shall pass". "That which doesn't kill us will make us stronger". "Look on the bright side". "Every cloud has a silver lining". In times of struggle these cliches can seem shallow. And yet I wonder: What might happen if we ignore the message each of them carries?

The rougher the times, I say, the greater truth those time-honored phrases carry. We need smiles, we need optimism, we need hope. That's my mission today, to notice things which inspire hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment